• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UC in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

macgirlee

What is the name of your state? PA

Saw this on another part of this site, need to know if it applies in PA (or which portions apply in PA).

Also, if a current employer changes your job to something "unsuitable" (e.g. hires you as a CPA, then after period of time moves you to lower grade, lower paying position) and you leave (quit/fired for refusal), do you lose your ability to collect UC?
Thanks,

IF I AM OFFERED A JOB AND REFUSE IT, WILL I LOSE MY UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE BENEFITS?
Free legal information for firing law @ FreeAdvice.com.

This depends on the reasons for refusing the job offer. If the work was "unsuitable" - for example, you had no experience in that field, if it is hazardous, or too physically challenging - you can refuse the job and still retain your UI benefits. Some states will consider excessive travel time and cost, bad working hours or personal problems as acceptable reasons for refusing a job. In addition, if you are overqualified for a new job, and the wages are much lower than from your previous employment, this may be an acceptable reason to refuse the job. For example, if you are a CPA who was earning $75,000 per year and you are offered a job as a bookkeeper at $300 per week, you won't lose your UI because you turned down the bookkeeper job. However, after a certain period of time, the state may require you to "lower your sights" and accept a "lesser" job.

Beth3

mac, unless an adjudicator with PA's unemployment division wanders by (which has never happened so far), no one here can answer your question. It's just too specific. The best that can be said is that some States grant UC benefits if an individual resigns their job because they refused a demotion to a job considerably under their prior status and pay. Where exactly that threshhold is, I can't say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">