• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UI benefits lost when moving?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gonebroke

If I move from Calif(where I've worked for 40 years) to Colorado(lower unemployment rate) can I continue to receive UI benefits since the extensions are being funded federally? Or do I forfeit benefits once I move out of state? State benefits ran out after 6 months and I realize that the individual states are administering all the federal extensions. Also, some states(due to lower unemployment rates) do not qualify for federal extensions, correct? Does that not matter since my employment has always been in Calif?

commentator

As soon as you get to Colorado, you'd report to a local unemployment office there, probably a phone system, and request that your claim be transferred. In fact, if you call your CA office, they will tell you exactly how to do this. You'll need a good address in CO, someplace for your checks to be mailed to, and a place there where you can do your job searches, a local employment/career center to base your registration for work.

But all the federal extensions are set to expire very soon anyhow. It won't really be relevant if they do. In the meantime, you'll take with you what goes with the extension you are on from your state, which is CA.

But a year from the date when your claim was originally filed, which is probably not going to be too long from now, you will have to be filing another claim. This will be a CA claim, to set up a new benefits year, regardless of what state you are living in, because that is where your wages are. At this point, you will not be able to draw from the new claim unless you have re-earnings, which means you have worked somewhere for a covered employer and have made enough wages to re-start benefits.

Either way, your drawing is coming to an end soon, unless they vote in a large new extension package. You'll have to ask in the individual state about how long and what you'll get. As I said, calling CA unemployment right now with your questions is a great place to start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">