• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UI Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Austringer

What is the name of your state? GA

I have a question regarding where and how do I apply for unemployment based on these criteria. I live in Georgia, worked for a Toronto based consulting firm (they have offices in Tx, NY and one other US city) and the project was based in Dallas Tx. I was let go during the 90 day probation period b/c my project manager and did not agree on many project and personal issues. I received the "termination" letter on Friday at the airport after getting out of the car. It did not state a reason for them letting me go, only that they were letting me go. The only reason I received was from the PM (verbally) stating that since we were not working well together, they had decided to let me go.

Now the question, where do I apply for UI from? I was on unemployment (Georgia) for about 2 months prior to my employment with this company and still had close to 4 months left of eligibility. Can I just refile for unemployment in the state of Georgia or do I have to do this though Tx or Canada.

Other factors to consider: On my business cards, it had my business address listed in the Houston Tx office. My legal residence was in the state of georiga and that is where I paid my state and federal taxes. Also, I did not receive the proper DOL form when I was let go. This company does close to half of its business in the United States.

Last question, are there any other legal issues that I need to consider or bring up in working to get this resolved. Also, are they supposed to provide me with a legal seperation notice (one of the DOL forms).

Thanks for your time and help with this issue, I'm just not sure where to start or go about this.

J.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">