• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

un fair employment opportunity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karla806

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have been temping for 2years at my job and a postion became available, so I applied for it. I have 3 yrs experience in this particular field, I was told 3 weeks after the interview that someone more qualified was selected and that my last day will be the ending of this month,Then I was asked to train him. I was confused as to why they would want me to train someone who was more qualified than I. not to mention I was told prior too that, my current position had no barings on the position I was applying for. During the training process I discovered not only did this person NOT have any experience in this field but he was offered the position, before I was interviewed for mine. I do not feel that I was ever given a fair shot at the position. What should I do?

I now have to give up my apartment and move to another state where the cost of living is cheaper because of all this

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have been temping for 2years at my job and a postion became available, so I applied for it. I have 3 yrs experience in this particular field, I was told 3 weeks after the interview that someone more qualified was selected and that my last day will be the ending of this month,Then I was asked to train him. I was confused as to why they would want me to train someone who was more qualified than I. not to mention I was told prior too that, my current position had no barings on the position I was applying for. During the training process I discovered not only did this person NOT have any experience in this field but he was offered the position, before I was interviewed for mine. I do not feel that I was ever given a fair shot at the position. What should I do?

I now have to give up my apartment and move to another state where the cost of living is cheaper because of all this
nothing. it wasn't illegal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They were under no legal obligation to hire you, or even to consider you for the position. What you should do is file for unemployment and look for a new job.

Hot Topic

If you worked through a temporary agency, you work for them, not the company that told you that someone more qualified was chosen for the job you wanted. I'm sure you weren't given any sort of contract that promised that you'd get any job you applied for.

If you wanted a permanent job, you would have tried for one, not a temporary assignment that lasted at least two years.

Moving to another state where the cost of living is cheaper because you didn't get the job on a permanent basis is drama queen stuff since you don't mention having another job to go to. And you may have trouble getting one since employers will wonder why you were a temp for so long.

pattytx

And you may have trouble getting one since employers will wonder why you were a temp for so long.
Not that I don't agree with you in principle, but a lot of (mostly huge) companies live and die by head count. At the company where I have been working temp (through an agency) for over 6 months now, there are other employees who have been temping for over 2 years. Just sayin'.

Hot Topic

They're temping because the company doesn't want to pay benefits, and most are probably hated by the permanent workers because they think the temps are making more money than they are.

In this economy, companies don't care about head count. They care about budgets and eliminating older workers if they can do so without running afoul of Federal law.

When the temps decide to go for permanent work, they'll discover how little regard there is for them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Of course they care about head count. Head count is one of the ways an employer controls a budget.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">