• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unauthorized payroll deduction to labor union by employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tjkmf

Once a year, I receive a "retro back pay". It is part of the collective bargaining agreement with my employer. I also have to give the union 50%, before taxes, in what is called "Market Share Dues". I am not on automatic dues deduction and pay my quarterly dues directly to the union, when billed. For the past two years, my employer has taken it upon themselves to deduct the 50% for the union. I have not authorized them to do so, nor are they required, by contract to do so. I sent a letter to payroll last year, of which they never responded. The fact that I will have to pay the union anyway, is not the issue. I do not like anyone deducting from my wages, when I have not authorized them to do so. Last year my employer, refunded the money, by including it with my regular paycheck. What I don't know, is that, in doing so, was I taxed on this money again? My employer never once, sent out a memo to let me know what was going on. What legal avenue can I take, if any, to assure this doesn't occur again next year? I considered filing a grievance, but the union won't care about this, illegal or not. They got their money.

H

hannah jo

First as a dues paying member of the union - the union should care about this. Second you need to check with payroll or check you pay stub to determine if you have been "taxed" twice for the same monies. Notify everyone, in writing, including HR, that they are not to deduct the funds from your paycheck. If they do - get your union involved - that is what they are paid to do.

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">