• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Under indictment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adas

What is the name of your state?
North Carolina

I was wondering if I need to tell my employer that I'm under indictment -- the charges brought against me are misdemeanors + sound bogus, but I'm afraid if I tell my employer I'll get fired + won't be able to find a job. Do I have to tell them? Should I wait until the trial is over? I would appreciate your help.

Last edited:

moburkes

What is the name of your state?
North Carolina

I was wondering if I need to tell my employee that I'm under indictment -- the charges brought against me are misdemeanors + sound bogus, but I'm afraid if I tell my employer I'll get fired + won't be able to find a job. Do I have to tell them? Should I wait until the trial is over? I would appreciate your help.
It is up to you. Yes, they can fire you. Or, they might listen to your story, and wait to see what happens.

Allizarx

In either case I wouldn't use the word Indictment, it sounds scary. I would play it down some as a "minor misdemeanor I have to take care of".

adas

Well, the employment book tells me that I "shall inform them" if any criminal charges are brought against me -- in the meantime, if I tell them and they fire me, I wouldn't have any source of income + I probably would lose my house because of that -- or, if I wait they might find out anyway and it would be the case as well; legally, do I HAVE to tell them? And if I do, can I at least wait until the trial begins -- could take months before it takes place...

moburkes

Well, the employment book tells me that I "shall inform them" if any criminal charges are brought against me -- in the meantime, if I tell them and they fire me, I wouldn't have any source of income + I probably would lose my house because of that -- or, if I wait they might find out anyway and it would be the case as well; legally, do I HAVE to tell them? And if I do, can I at least wait until the trial begins -- could take months before it takes place...
Legally, no. But, you agreed to do so.

Beth3

Nobody here can remotely answer that for any number of reasons, not the least of which is we have no idea what type of work you do/industry you're in and whether these pending charges will have an impact on your ability to do your job, be bonded, will negatively impact your employer's good name, etc. Plus we're not your management team and have no idea how they will view this.

All one can tell you is that if you fail to inform them, when they find out (and they will) they will terminate you for sure for violating company policy. If you tell them yourself, then you stand a chance of keeping your job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">