• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mississippi

my daughter is working for a private school that is also licensed for child care. this is the first summer they are closing down the day care for 3 months. are the girls eligable for unemployment or are they exempt. is anything different since they are part of a school? as it is with the school schedule they get a lot of time off without pay and this is putting a added strain in their finances

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not they will be eligible for unemployment depends on state law; however, I can't think of any reason offhand why they wouldn't be eligible. There is no reason why they can't apply; the worst that can happen is that they are turned down.

that is what i thought
thanks again. recently moved to mississippi from michigan. a matter of living within my means after my settlement. I am not sorry but.....Wow...no ofense to anyone, but it is sure another world.

M

mlp's mom

Just a note: many private schools and/or daycares are owned by religious organizations. Many religious organizations are legally exempt from paying unemployment taxes. If that is the case, the employees will not be eligible for unemployment insurance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
driftbuster, ALL she has to do is apply for unemployment. IF the school is exempt, she'll find out soon enough. And I would take issue with the above poster's comment that "many" private schools are exempted - I would replace "many" with "some" or even "a few".

I've never understood why so many people feel they have to KNOW whether they qualify or not before they'll even apply. Just apply, for Pete's sake. The worst that can happen is that you'll be turned down, and I'm willing to bet that plenty of people who don't apply because they THINK they're ineligible for one reason or another, actually would have qualified and they thus do themselves out of benefits.

There's no penalty for being wrong and it doesn't cost anything but a little time and a stamp - in a lot of states not even a stamp
'cuz you can apply by phone or on-line. The state isn't going to approve benefits if the employer is exempt, and nothing bad is going to happen to you if you apply and get turned down. Just apply. Quit worrying about what-if.

cbg, that is SO true. Time after time people come here to post ans ask "will they get unemployment?" when they haven't even applied! Yet they expect board member to know all the specifics of their situation and make a determination.

Just APPLY! Usually this can be done quickly over the phone. The Unemployment office will ask some questions and then they will issue a determination. Even if denied a person can appeal and sometimes they win.

A friend worked on a 6 month temp job in a small town and it ended and the agency had nothing else. She applied and got unemployment for a couple months and was pleasantly surprised.

The only time I've heard of unemployment benefits being denied iswhen someone quits or is fired for something like theft, gross misconduct, or blatant violation of company policy.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">