• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troy

What is the name of your state?SC
If you quit a job and go to work for a temp agency for a month or so and your job assignment end, can you collect unemployment for the job you quit and also monies put in by the temp agency?

pattytx

Once the temp assignment has ended, you are once again eligible for UI. You just continute reporting as normal, but instead of reporting the wages you earned at the assignment, you report zero.

The amount you receive is based on the reported wages in the creditable lookback period. It is at least one calendar quarter back, then 4 quarters. The state looks at that and decides which employer's account gets "charged" with your benefits.

justalayman

"To get answers to any question concerning this program and your rights, contact your nearest local unemployment office. Or call (803)737-3071 in Columbia, S.C. "

From the SC website. In their FAQ they did state that quitting a job would disqualify a claimant but could not find answer to your situation.

I was involved in a similar situation (in Michigan). At that time, here (Mi) you would still be disqualified. After quitting a job it was required to work XX amount of hours and XX weeks to re-qualify.

When working for a Temp agency you generally actually work for the agency (not where you actually worked). So then are you actually still amployed but with no available hours? This may change the situation even further. (I would think to your benefit)
Just call the number above and ask.

pattytx

I have worked on assignments through temp agencies while looking for permanent employment. You are eligible for UI benefits when the temp assignment ends in every state I know of.

justalayman

pattytx said:
I have worked on assignments through temp agencies while looking for permanent employment. You are eligible for UI benefits when the temp assignment ends in every state I know of.
It's not the lack of work from the temp agency. It is the fact the OP quit a job 1 month ago. Quitting generally DQ's unemployment. Like I had stated they require a re-qualifying period that the OP may not have fulfilled with one month of work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">