• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lorio1970

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona Does anyone know if you can file for unemployment while you are in jail? My brother is in jail for a month and he has lost his job as a result. I was going to go online and file for unemployment for him.

Only the unemployed person can request the benefits, and they must be able to confirm that they are available for work during a paid benefit week.

Presuming he is eligible for unemployment (which is highly unlikely as he lost his job by his own actions) he can apply after he is released.

Last edited:

Beth3

You CANNOT file an employment claim for your brother. That is fraud.

One of the requirements to be eligible for unemployment benefits is that the claimant be available for work. Clearly your brother is not. I suggest he wait to file a claim until he is out of jail. His doing so now would be pointless.

commentator

No you may not file an unemployment claim for your brother. No, he is not eligible for unemployment while he is incarcerated. No questions. If this happens, it is prosecutable fraud and could result in his having more jail time, with your company.

Unemployment insurance eligiblity is dependent upon a person's being out of work through NO FAULT OF HIS OWN. If he was fired because he could not be at work because he is in jail, guess what, that's considered his own fault.

He must also be able and available for full time work immediately. And he's not going to meet that one. Work release is never going to be that generous.

When he gets out of jail, he can file for unemployment insurance at that time. He will have to have the wages in the base period to set up a claim monetarily, this will go back approximately 18 months and pull in wages. If he does have these wages enough to set up a claim, they will then go into the issue of why he lost his job. Being fired for non-attendance because you were in jail and could not come to work is not usually a "through no fault of your own" simple separation issue.

What I'd suggest he do as soon as he gets out is go back and talk to his former employer, admit the error of his ways, and ask very humbly for his job back. If they say that's not possible, he needs to file for unemployment right then. He may not get approved for it, but he will have a claim set up, and he may be able to draw it later after working elsewhere. Then he needs to begin looking for work everywhere, including temp agencies, part time, contract, anything, anything. He needs to start rebuilding a new work history where "I was fired because I went to jail" is not going to be the reason for leaving his last job.

But do not try to help him by signing him up for something he is not eligible for, with both of you committing fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">