• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment, appeals, and appeal hearings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Randombowl

This takes place in the state of Ohio.

I've been on Unemployment Benefits since mid-december while trying to find a job. In Ohio, you must file an appeal within 21 calendar days after determination is finalized. I received notice in April from Ohio unemployment that my previous employer had filed an appeal. I replied to the appeal and won the re-determination because of their four month late file and lack of description in appeal.

I have just received another notice that they appealed the appeal of the re-determination and that I now have to participate in a telephone interview to discuss, "Did the appeallant file a timely appeal to the initial determination with the Director?"

Has anyone been through this before? Do you have suggestions on how I should handle it, myself, and my argument? They have an option--I can request an in-person hearing in place of the telephone hearing. Would an in-person hearing be beneficial to me or does it matter? Should I get a lawyer to handle this? Am I overreacting?

Suggestions for this scenario would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:

swalsh411

I don't see how an in-person hearing will benefit you. Just answer all the questions truthfully. Your former employer has every right to appeal a decision.

From the description, they may be claiming they did in fact file a timely appeal and that for whatever reason it was lost or mishandled. Whether or not they did file timely has nothing to do with the merits of your unemployment claim so this is really not even about you. If they win, then the merits of their appeal will be examined. If they lose and the determination is made that they really did wait too long to appeal, then they lose.

Do you have any reason to believe you should not qualify for benefits? Why did your employment end?

Randombowl

Do you have any reason to believe you should not qualify for benefits? Why did your employment end?
Thanks for the post.

I know I deserve benefits. No policy was ever broken. My employment ended, according to my boss, because my personal life morals were not in line with his.

Story: I had been dating an individual and several months after ending our dating experience, they wrote a letter to by immediate boss complaining about me. I was never allowed to see the letter or discuss in detail what she was accusing me of. But he said that my personal life morals were not in line with the companies. But when I asked what morals I had broken and that I had not once broken policy, he went on about his morals and how low mine were. It was a normal dating experience.

I don't see how an in-person hearing will benefit you. Just answer all the questions truthfully. Your former employer has every right to appeal a decision.
Okay, that's good to know. I wasn't sure if there would have been a benefit for me or them in doing so.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">