• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

holaguesswho

Unemployment Benefits and insurance questions

What is the name of your state? CA

Q1 My employment was terminated recently due to performance issue. (no misconduct)
Am I eligible for umemployment benefits? if so, for how long?

Q2 The insurance benefit cease at termination date. What is the grace period for COBRA? if I elect to enroll?

Thanks!

Last edited:

S

Sinsaint26

You should be eligible for UC benefits. Usually you can collect for 26 weeks but some states have added extentions of up to another 26 weeks. During the time you collect benefits you are expected to be looking for other employment. COBRA information must be sent to you within a certain amount of time. I believe its 44 days, but not positive. The information they send will tell you when your coverage ends, how much your premiums will be and what date you must notify them by.

Beth3

Typically, an employee who is terminated can collect UC benefits unless the reason for the termination is "willful misconduct." For a job performance issue, your employer would have to contest your claim and demonstrate that your decision not to perform to acceptable levels was purposeful. That is (a) not likely and (b) very difficult to sustain. Odds are great that you are eligible for UC.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Depending on whether the company self administers its COBRA or uses a third party administrator, they have either 14 or 44 days to notify you of your right to COBRA. From either the date of the notice or the last day of coverage (whichever is later) you have 60 days to elect COBRA and from the day you make the election, you have 45 days to send in the first payment. The first payment must cover all the time from the termination of coverage to present, so the longer you take the decide the more money you will have to send in your first check. Subsequent checks will be for one month apiece. The first check, for however many months, MUST be in their hands absolutely no later than 105 days after the last day of coverage/notification date. The company does not need to reactivate your coverage until they have received the check. Once the check is in their hands, however, they MUST reactive coverage retroactive to the cancellation date.

The COBRA notification you receive will tell you what the due dates are. Often, but not always, it is the first of the month. You will have a 30 day grace period for each check - i.e. a check that is due on April 1 will have a grace period until April 30. If you miss the grace period, the company is under no obligation to accept payment, although they may if they choose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">