• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pastdue

What is the name of your state? Texas:confused:
I was approved for unemployment benefits, then, a week later, I found a job. Now I'm being told that I cannot collect unemployment for the weekI looked for a job and didn't have any money coming in. I was told that was my waiting week, but not to worry because if lose this job, I'll have 1 of my 3 waiting weeks already completed. Why do I have a awiting week at all? I still have bills to pay. I feel I'm being punished for finding a job too quick. Does this make any sense?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I understand exactly what you are saying; however, the fact remains that most states do have a one-week waiting period before benefits begin. You have a waiting week because the law of your state says so. To be frank with you, in an age where the average time to find a new job is 9 months to a year, finding another job in a week is something of a miracle that you should be grateful for; many people are struggling to pay those bills on the reduced wages of unemployment for considerably longer than that and in many cases, on into the time when unemployment has run out! Fair or unfair, you will not be paid for that week and you have a new job that will be providing a paycheck shortly. Don't dwell on it; move on.

Beth3

Punished for finding a job too quickly? Count yourself fortunate.

Would you rather have spent months on unemployment, receiving only a benefit of a couple of hundred dollars a week? That doesn't go too far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">