• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moose_tkh

What is the name of your state?Ohio.
I was recently terminated. Ohio unemployment found that my past employer terminated me without just cause, so they are now sending my checks. Here's my question. The paperwork that I recieved has my past 3 employers (which goes back a year and a half) listed and different amounts of money and weeks for each. How exactly does this work? And why do they charge employers that you quit? One of these employers have now came back to request for relief of charges.

Thanks moose_tkh

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Ohio unemployment found that my past employer terminated me without just cause, No, unemployment found that your employment ended for a reason that did not disqualify you for benefits. It may be semantics, but it's important semantics.

How exactly does this work? Different states do it different ways. It sounds as if your state charges all the employers in a look-back period, a proportionate amount based on the length of time you worked for them and what you were earning at each employer.

And why do they charge employers that you quit? They don't, always. If your state does, I promise you that you aren't the only one asking this question. Seriously, the only answer I can give you on this question is, because that's what the law says.

moose_tkh

So, I assume that my previous employers are trying to get out of paying by requesting for relief of charges (which I agree they should). Should I also assume, that my benefits will decrease when this happens?

Thanks so much for your response
moose_tkh

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not necessarily. Relief of charges may not be granted. Or, it may be that if relief is granted, the employer that did term you may end up paying more. I don't know how Ohio handles it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">