• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pejmhj1990

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Let me tell you what happened.

I worked at this office as a administrative assistant for 15 years. I kept a satchel all the time next to my desk to put information in that I needed to do, like filing, etc. I inadvertently took the satchel to my car and when I realized it I went and retrieved it, well a lady in the firm asked me to come to her office and see what was in the satchel, and I did, and she said she was going to tell the boss.

In turn, I went in and talked to the boss and voluntarily told him what I did, and everything was okay, well I went to lunch right after, and when I came back him and her were searching my desk. My boss, along with her, took me into his office and started yelling at me about what was in the satchel, there were filing documents, a check that was to be mailed, and certified receipts that I had to attach to some documents, well I said I told you this before, he informed me that I was going to work in the back from now on, instead of up front and I said okay. We went out to my desk and he said he wanted to search my car and I said okay, we went to the car, him and her searched through everything, they said they found things, but I never saw them or anything, he said I will call you tomorrow and you need to go home, well I needed to get my purse cause it was upstairs so I asked if I could get my purse and they said yes. I went upstairs with them, and he said he wanted to search my purse, so he had the other lady take everything out of my purse and of course there was nothing.

Anyway, two weeks before I received a bonus for good work and dedication, I have been so upset about this.

Now, the unemployment insurance office called and said he said he found a check in my car, which I know was not true. I made deposits for him every day.

Anyway, they took my statement and now I have to wait, but I really feel that I won't get it after I had been there 15 1/2 years.

What do you think?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Beth3

I think you need to wait and see what the UC Division decides.

I do think it a very odd work habit to keep work in progress in a satchel. And of course you did take it out to your car and leave it there, which is also rather peculiar. Your employer suspects you've been taking confidential work materials out of the workplace. Their concern is understandable.

Perhaps they did find a check in your car. If you missed depositing it because it slipped under a seat or something, how would you know?

eerelations

Yes, this the first time this satchel thing has come up in all of your posts on this subject, and all of a sudden I'm a little concerned. I've been working in office environments for over 30 years and I've never seen any employee store his/her work in a satchel on the floor. Had I seen this I think I too would have been mighty suspicious, and I would definitely have taken some action had I witnessed that employee carry the satchel out to his/her car.

Be that as it may, if your former employer is using this cheque to try and get your UI benefits denied, please note that if benefits are denied, you may appeal the denial, and your former employer will have to produce the cheque. (But don't forget, if your former employer does produce the cheque, you will have to explain why it was in your car.)

eerelations

...I inadvertently took the satchel to my car and when I realized it I went and retrieved it
Question:

If the satchel was being used as a beside-your-desk-work-container, how could you "inadvertently" pick it up, take it outside, and place it in your car? I have never inadvertently removed any of the bins or storage baskets in my office, let alone taken them outside and left them somewhere...I can't even imagine how I could do this and not be aware of it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Folks, this is the THIRD thread this person has started about her firing...

eerelations

Folks, this is the THIRD thread this person has started about her firing...
I know, but each thread has a very narrow focus - one was about whether the termination was legal, another was about whether it was legal to search her car (even though she gave them permission to do so), and this one's about whether she'll get UI benefits if her former employer found one of its cheques in her car. Although somewhat nit-picky, still OK with me.

My crystal ball tells me that the next thread will be about whether her former employer has the right to call the police on her, given that they've already used their dime on the UI office.

Antigone*

Bring it on!
What is the name of the actress who starred with hunkin;) Harrison Ford in the movie Working Girl.

The prize for the day is the opportunity to sit and act as the secretary of the CEO of Bank of America while gets drilled about the ML acquisition on the hill today. (sweat baby sweat:eek:)

pattytx

My crystal ball tells me that the next thread will be about whether her former employer has the right to call the police on her, given that they've already used their dime on the UI office.
My crystal ball tells me that the next thread will be whether the employer could have asked her whether she liked blue or green better?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">