• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bp2040

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DE
Since I resigned my position with my former (at-will) employer ("Voluntary Quit", I assume), am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DE
Since I resigned my position with my former (at-will) employer ("Voluntary Quit", I assume), am I eligible for unemployment benefits?
You can certainly apply, but most people who become voluntarily unemployed don't often qualify for unemployment benefits.

There *MIGHT* be circumstances under which you might find yourself forced to quit, but if you simply decided you'd rather quit and than continue working for a particular employer, your chances are not good to be eligible. The main reason is because in order to be eligible for benefits, you must be willing and available to work, and can't have refused work that was available to you.

But it certainly doesn't hurt to apply. The worst they can say is NO.

bp2040

sandyclaus,
Many thanks for your quick feedback. I appreciate it. That's the impression I had gotten, but am applying anyway, as you had suggested, since the worst they can say is "No".

jiggy78

You would have to show "good cause" in order to qualify. Examples of situations that have been found to be good cause include:

-not being paid
-continued illegal harassment and the employer does nothing to stop it
-being asked to do something illegal

The following are not good cause:

-do not like job duties
-boss is mean
-too long commute
-don't like hours

Since you quit, the burden of proof is on you to show good cause.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">