• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment benefits, accusation of theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tumnus

Hi, I'm writing from Oregon.
I am a paralegal in the domrel field. I worked for a family law firm back in 1999 and 2000 untill I quit to try to find a place where there would be a future for me. 6 months later this firm begged to have me back. After about 7 months of employment my employer and I had a falling out (about 2.5 months ago) and he fired me. He said I was incompetent. I had another job lined up in minutes however, I think my previous employer said something that scared them off. I applied for Unemployment benefits about 2 weeks ago. My employer wrote them back saying that I had stole from them. He said that I had used their office depot card for personal effects. He also said he talked to me about it at the time of my discharge. He even had a reaction made up for me.
Now, I had used the card for personal effects but it was an agreement between the firm and I so that they would not have to pay me overtime. I was working about everyweekend and many nights. Also I was spending money from my pocket for firm related things (small stuff like alarm clocks cheap games, a total of about $100.00 which is far less than all my time was worth). My downfall is that I have no records of this. He has the office depot invoices. Should I contest his statement? If I lose will it hurt me in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">