• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment benefits are being questioned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Tell y'all what (and doesn't that sound funny in my Canadian accent).

We have a REAL expert in unemployment issues here. She does not appear to be online today (smart girl) but we're talking about someone who has 30-some years experience working with UI from the inside. She's helped any number of posters here win their appeals and what she doesn't know about unemployment doesn't merit knowing.

So how about we give an actual expert a chance to address the question before we confuse the OP any further?

Tell y'all what (and doesn't that sound funny in my Canadian accent).

We have a REAL expert in unemployment issues here. She does not appear to be online today (smart girl) but we're talking about someone who has 30-some years experience working with UI from the inside. She's helped any number of posters here win their appeals and what she doesn't know about unemployment doesn't merit knowing.

So how about we give an actual expert a chance to address the question before we confuse the OP any further?

Sounds like a plan! I just think they did not like the fact that I was able to resign in lieu of termination in NJ (misconduct admitted on my part, and still collect unemployment after 6 weeks penalty). So instead of pointing out the stuff in my post they they thought was incorrect information PRO just said to ignore me. I realize that just cause It worked out like that for me does not mean it would work out for OP, but I did not make up the rules and Stealth just found them on DOL main page when I went to One Stop career cause they answer it in non-legal term. I think we still got at the same conclusions for the most part.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
One of the important things to know about UI, though, is that ONLY the state's opinion counts. What you think the rules say doesn't matter; nor does it matter what stealth thinks, or what Pro thinks, or what I think. It doesn't matter what the employer thinks either. UI is rarely cut and dried or black and white. Even Commentator will only be able to give an informed opinion. But hers is the most informed opinion we have going for us here, so let's slow down before we drive the OP completely crazy. Okay? :)

One of the important things to know about UI, though, is that ONLY the state's opinion counts. What you think the rules say doesn't matter; nor does it matter what stealth thinks, or what Pro thinks, or what I think. It doesn't matter what the employer thinks either. UI is rarely cut and dried or black and white. Even Commentator will only be able to give an informed opinion. But hers is the most informed opinion we have going for us here, so let's slow down before we drive the OP completely crazy. Okay? :)

Fair enough. thank you for your reasonableness

commentator

Hi, y'all. I'm here. Conflict101 has the issue that I find very common, they (gender undetermined) want to help others based on their personal experience. It's sort of like the blind men who went to see the elephant, and based their report of what the elephant was like on whichever part of the elephant they happened to get hold of. Every unemployment claim is individual, and though there are statutes and specifics, no one can say for certain what's going to happen except the people who are looking at it in the New Jersey system.

What conflict101 says is pretty much true, as far as it goes, NJ is one of the states where sometimes a disqualification is removed by a waiting period.

But we can't say, Yes, this is what happened to me, this is exactly what will happen to you. In this OP's post, they are working on a decision about whether or not the termination is determined to be misconduct, based on the information given at the hearing.
If it is, and the person is disqualified, there will be information provided to them about how long the disqualification is for, and what they have to do to remove the disqualification. It may be totally different from the circumstances of Conflicts' situation. We can't say, only can give very general information about the claim. Once the decision is rendered, then the OP can go over the information that will be contained in the decision and take it from there.

Most important thing for us to deal with, in my opinion is that the original poster is asking "Should I retain an attorney?" Very definitely no, not right now. A lawyer could not help you at all in this situation at this point. For one thing, UI law is not based on the brilliant citing of case law by anyone, is only subject to very specific appeals process, for which the laws are very clearly defined, and it sounds as though you have already had one hearing on your situation. When you receive the decision, get back here and we'll see if you can appeal it, if you aren't approved.

Whether or not your claim can be reopened after denial and a penalty period will be determined by the system when and if the claim is denied.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying this issue commentor, I am a female btw. I will go away now. OP was looking for insight.

If the site wishes to ban me that is fine, this site is addicting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">