• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment benefits denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roadster2005

What is the name of your state? MA

I saw your comments on the web site and have a question of my own. I worked for a company for 3.5 years and recently left employment voluntarily. I applied for unemployment and was denied. I worked as a Sales Rep (Route Driver) paid commission weekly full time. I left on Feb 25 2005 after giving 2 weeks notice. The reasons I left were as follows:
1. During late Oct 2004 to early Nov 2004 I was not paid for approximately two weeks of work. After looking into it, I was finally paid in late Jan 2005 approximately 900.00. During the coming weeks there were still problems with my check, and I am still owed for one delivery.
2. During this same period the company was having inventory problems, and sold part of the business to a competitor, and closed the business, rolling it over into a new company. The company moved from its location to 20+ miles away.
3. The Dental insurance was cancelled (because the company couldn't afford it) without notification.
4. The medical insurance was cancelled due to non-payment, then re-established. We were not notified until the insurer sent the notice.
5. The route I did was Boston and the biggest in the company. My earnings went down by over 40% in eight months due to the company losing clients. Most clients were lost to bad pricing or inventory problems. My income on certain weeks was 150.00 down from 800.00 per week. When I left I asked to be transferred to another route to maintain my employment, but it still was under 200.00 per week. I could not survive on this amount.
6. Support and management was non-existent due to the fact that every member of the office and staff was on the road...due to lack of employees. I had to wait a week to give my notice in person.

I would like to know if I have a case for an appeal...and if I should. I had to leave because of the financial burden and mounting debt. The new work distance also was part. I felt the company was not solvent and has a dim future. I tried to maintain my relationship by taking a new route but the results were equally dismal.

Thanks

Chris Raymond

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have more than a passing familiarity with the MA DET. No, I don't think you have a case on appeal and I think you'd be wasting your time to try.

If your hours had been cut and you had applied for partial benefits to make up some of the difference, it would probably have been approved. But bad management and a dim financial future are not considered "good cause" to quit and still receive benefits in MA - or any other state with which I am familiar.

If you are still owed wages for work you actually performed, you can file a complaint with the MA AG's office, which functions as the DOL in this state. Look in the blue pages of the Boston phone book, under the state listings, AG's office, Fair Labor and Consumer Line. I used to have the phone number but I think it's changed.

roadster2005

more info

I was wondering if the fact that the employer did not pay me for work performed in a timely manner and cancelled benefits...and my commission was less than half constitutes "Unfulfilled promises concerning pay or benefits"

I followed the rules regarding trying to keep the position by changing to another route...but the same thing. Plus, the additional travel doesnt come into play here?

Thanks for answering

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In my opinion, no. You're free to try. However, if that argument were going to fly, you'd probably have prevailed initially.

As I said in another thread earlier today, anyone who quits their job for anything short of sexual harassment or illegal discrimination, is simply asking for a denial of UI benefits.

roadster2005

more on this subject

Thanks...Im not sure if I will or not. If anyone else has a comment I would appreciate all the thoughts I can get

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">