• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment benefits elegibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jadelegonzalez

(I'm in Florida)
Hello, I hope someone in this post might be able to elucidate my doubts...
I've been working since May 2011 as an employee with W2, previous to that I was a freelancer (independent contractor) for about 4 yrs. I have now been laid off. My position has been terminated (no fault) as of April 1st 2012 I will no longer be employed. Do I qualify for unemployment according to the BASE PERIOD? I've read all about the four of the past five quarters, but I'm still confused. I have 2 full quarters in 2011, over half of one quarter in 2011 (May and June, but not April!), and Jan, Feb, March in 2012. Does the base period mean I must have been employed for a FULL YEAR (or complete full four/five calendar years?) Would I qualify for unemployment here in FLORIDA having worked 11 months? Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

The worst thing that can happen is that your application is denied.

Apply and be truthful. That is all you can do.

(Why were you a 'contractor' for 4 years.... that is another issue...)

They don't ask you for your wage history .. they have it on computer .. they'll do all this work for you and send you a statement of eligibility.

Yours is a case where you may not qualify; but I would encourage you to file.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you apply, you may get benefits and you may not.

If you don't apply, you definitely won't.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

commentator

When you are separated from your job, wait until the first full week in the month of April, 2012 has come. That will be like April 2, I believe. At that point, file the claim, the monetary decision will be based on the first four of the last five completed quarters back from that second quarter of 2012. You will be drawing from the whole year of 2011. This gives you three full quarters of work and should be okay to set you up a claim, though it may be only 18 weeks of benefits instead of 26 (at the time you draw out of this 18 weeks without finding another job, if extensions are still in force, you'll be able to sign up for them). Of course in Florida, regardless of how much you have been making, even if you get the max weekly benefit, it will only be $275 per week.

As everyone has pointed out to you, it's pretty sillly to sit home and try to figure out for yourself whether or not you'll qualify, when all you have to do is go in and file the claim, and they'll tell you if you do or not, and if not, when you might later qualify, or what it would take to have made you eligibile.

jadelegonzalez

Thanks commentator! This is the answer I was looking for! Whether I am going to "sit home and wait" or the "no brainer" comment are irrelevant. It is about the urgency of finding a new job what this relates to: should I take any low paying job that I can get, or do I have a bit of time to find something closer to my wage expectations. Obviously I would regardless make the claim, but I needed to know BEFORE April 2 if there's any real hope. If I don't qualify to start with then my position is still more delicate and I again, I'll have to just accept any job offer regardless of my qualifications. Thanks to everyone for their inputs!

swalsh411

You do know that unemployment expects that basically you will take any available work?
That's not true. You cannot turn down "suitable work". An MBA with 20 years business experience would not be expected to take a job cleaning the cages of labratory animals. (no offense to the people who do that!)

csi7

I agree, it's a matter of looking for suitable work comparable to your career.

Keep track of the workplaces you apply to, and keep it in writing, not just on the computer, so you can submit it when asked.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree, it's a matter of looking for suitable work comparable to your career.

Keep track of the workplaces you apply to, and keep it in writing, not just on the computer, so you can submit it when asked.
What difference would it make?

commentator

Because it's sort of an honor system. If you think about it, the system does not, especially in today's times have the manpower and capability to go out and ask each and every place an individual has applied for work if they actually went there, and ( i love it when people try to report others for this!) whether or not they made a "genuine effort" to get the job they applied for.

But one in every so many clients is selected for detailed audit. It will be helpful for this particular person (and thence, each person, cause you don't know if you're the one in whatever...) to keep detailed records of the actual places they have gone and looked for work, either by mailing resumes, on computer, or in person.

OP. strike at every pitch. In other words, sign up for the unemployment insurance assuming you'll never find another job as long as you live. Cut back on expenses. NEVER assume you'll quickly get something else. Then start applying, job searching like mad. Do NOT apply for a job you don't want and hope you don't get. As I said, in Florida, you'd almost be applying for less than minimum wage as soon as you began your job hunt if all you were looking for ws something to replace the $275 a week you're drawing, but the idea is that it gives you a few weeks of uninterrupted job hunting with enough money to buy perhaps a couple of tanks of gas. As you are out of work more and more weeks, you need to become less and less picky. It is also possible to pick up a part time job and report your income to U.I. and thus suppliment your unemployment while seeking a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">