• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment benefits....please read

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paul0927

What is the name of your state? California

I am 21 years old. I worked for a motel as a clerk for 2 years. After not receiving any wage increase for the last year last month I asked about one and was told I should be glad I had a job and was already being paid too much ($12 per hour). I didn't say anything but I realized there was no future working there and started looking at other work. Three weeks ago I came across a union electical job that requires a test on this coming Saturday. It is only offered once or twice a year. I told my employer I needed this coming Saturday off and gave 2 weeks notice. They told me that I had to trade shifts with someone. I tried for the past week to trade but no one would trade. I told them today that I have to have Saturday off as I'm taking an examination that morning. I have been studying for the past 2 weeks. I was told that if I didn't come in they would have to "let me go". I said I wasn't coming in. Then I was told to turn in my keys as I was being "let go".

I don't think this was right, I didn't want to call in sick as that is dishonest. My father says it might not be right but that's how the system works. He said next time "call in sick".

I want to apply for unemployment benefits. I didn't have any blackmarks against me that I know of. Do I need a lawyer to get my benefits or can I trust the unemployment office. I'm a bit nervious dealing with "the system" as I'm not sure how just it is.

I used to work in the back office in accounting and some of the managers used to brag how they contested any unemployment claim. Any advice that someone can give would be very appreciated.

Wish me luck on my test.....now I really want to pass it!!!

Paul

pattytx

Good luck on your test.

However, quitting because the employer would not approve a day off is not a good enough reason for the state to grant you UI benefits. In fact, quitting for nearly any reason (although there are some limited exceptions) nearly always results in the UI claim being denied. Your dad is right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">