• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment benefits/wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlafrench1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I've been fired from a temp. constr. job in LA. I am a TX resident and want to file for unemployment in TX (I worked in TX last yr) My termination was wrongful but I have no written proof. The reason for termination is violation of policy. Allegedly, a field craft worker told office personnel that I was on my cell phone (in a tool trailer which also serves as my office, or at least has desk area). The mgr had declared a no cell phone policy, verbally, during a morning meeting the day before. He stated that there were approx. three persons excepted from the rule. He did not say who the exceptions were. In February I was granted permission to use my phone - verbally. I was also given an orange sticker to wear on my hardhat showing I was cleared for cell phone use. I was never told that the clearance had been rescended nor had anyone asked for the sticker back. I did use my phone for company business. I worked in the tool/supply trailer. When I needed to order supplies,needed copies, or other assistance I called our office. They did not show me exit papers when I was terminated - just very rudely rushed me out, denying me the opportunity to speak to upper mgmt or see paperwork. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits? What if the reason for termination was changed to insubordination or failure to follow instructions? I have been told by a former coworker that they saw "violation of policy" as reason for termination on my paperwork. If they deny my right to unemployment(which I've been told they will do) do I stand a chance at appeal without written proof of anything?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination does not mean that the company did not follow their policy. It means that there is a specific law that prohibits the employer from firing you for the reason they did. What law are you claiming was broken?

The employer does not grant or deny unemployment benefits; the state does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">