• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment benifits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cody9229

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new jersey
Recently discharged from company with 9 years of service. Mgt claims I submitted two (2) cust satisfaction surveys to inflate CSI scores. :eek:They claim the emal address belongs to me which is true. It is an email address I used several years ago.

Will this impact my ability to claim unemployment benifits?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new jersey
Recently discharged from company with 9 years of service. Mgt claims I submitted two (2) cust satisfaction surveys to inflate CSI scores. :eek:They claim the emal address belongs to me which is true. It is an email address I used several years ago.

Will this impact my ability to claim unemployment benifits?
Maybe, maybe not. You should still apply.

commentator

We gather you are discharged. You file for unemployment benefits as soon as you are discharged. You are determined to be montarily eligible for benefits, to have a claim to set up based on your past five quarters of employment.

You are asked the reason why you are no longer working. You tell the claimstaker what you were told by the company was the reason you were terminated. Then, regardless of your answer, the company is contacted and asked what the reason was that you were terminated.

If they can show they had a valid misconduct reason to terminate you, you are not approved for benefits. If they cannot show that they had a valid misconduct reason to terminate you, then you will likely be approved for benefits.

Okay, they maintain that you used your old website to send in, submit, whatever, a couple of inflated customer satisfaction surveys. First question: Did you do this? Be careful. If you're lying, and it is glaringly apparent that you are lying, this can really hurt your case and likelihood for approval. Even if they can't PROVE it was you, if there was no one else but you who was likely to have done it, and no one else it would have benefited, and it came in on your email site, what point is there in saying, "Yeah, but you can't PROVE it was me!"and continuing to lie about it? In unemployment hearings, there is the philosophy of when the two sides of the story of different, the ajudicator picks out the one that is "most believeable." If you maintain that your email was hijacked by space aliens who used your email to give you great customer reviews and then ran off laughing, what do you think the ajudicator is going to believe?

What you would be wiser to maintain is that it was not misconduct, you did not know that doing this would be grounds for termination, and you meant no real harm to anyone in doing it. If it us determined whether or not you received a bonus, or profited some other way financially, it might have been sort of more serious fraud. But if you just did this to make yourself look good, having no idea it was so totally definitively against the rules (there being no specific company policy against it) and you had no idea it would ever result in your being fired, then they can't say it was gross and deliberate misconduct.

Gross misconduct is something so bad you should have known it was wrong to do it, even one time, an example being punching out your employer. If it was simple misconduct, there should have been a policy referring to it, and after violating this policy, you should have been taken through disciplinary procedures before firing. If this was the third or fourth time they've caught you doing this sort of thing, you're probably not going to be approved.

This whole situation will be investigated by the unemployment system to determine if your claim is approved initially. Then there will be an opportunity for either party who loses to file an appeal, resulting in a hearing.

Can this affect your benefits? Yeah, you bet. But your best tactic is to be honest about the whole thing, regardless.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">