• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Comp & Education

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zaddel

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I applied for unemployment compensation and it was approved. I have been receiving my weekly checks for a few weeks. At my last visit to the CT Unemployment Office, they went over certain adult education courses I could take free of charge to better my chances for getting a job. I agreed and I have attended school for one week. I did not receive a check this week and when I inquired I was told that I will not get my unemployment check for the weeks that I attend classes at adult education. Is this correct? I am a single mother with 2 children. Do I have to choose between taking adult ed courses offered by the Labor Dept. or my unemployment benefit?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If that's what the unemployment office told you, I have no reason to doubt its veracity.

jt_marlin

I am not familar with Conneticut law, but I work for unemployment in Wisconsin. It is possible that you would not be eligible to receive a benefit check for those weeks if they have a provision regarding your availabiilty to work. As in -- if you are going to school full time during the day, you are not able and available to be working during that time and therefore, you get no check.

Again, that's my impression. It seems odd that there would not be an exemption if you were enrolled in a class offered by reemployment services.

ecmst12

Yes, you need to be available to work and actively looking for work in order to receive unemployment compensation. Going to school means you can't be looking for work or available to work.

pattytx

Every time I've had to file for UI benefits, I've always had to answer that question. Doesn't seem quite fair, but I'm guessing the logic is that it will make you more marketable. Are they requiring you go to get benefits? Would a low-cost Community College class or through a community center at night be a better deal? It would certainly cost less than losing a week of benefits.

ecmst12

It's my understanding that any full time schooling would disqualify you from benefits. I'm not sure about a night class.

pattytx

It's my understanding that any full time schooling would disqualify you from benefits. I'm not sure about a night class.
Only if you are not able to work the normal shifts for your regular type of work. If you are an accountant and you went to school at night only, that would not disqualify you, as you were still available for work during the day and could do your job searching during the day.

At least that's my experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">