• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IL

According to the IL State website being fired for misconduct can disqualify you from unemployment benefits.

I was discharged for "misconduct", I can dispute this for many reasons, but the problem is everything would be my word against the employers. The only thing I have in my defense are co-workers who naturally aren't going to say much for fear of jeapardizing their own jobs.

Having a clean employment record, in fact, and exceptional one with this employer for 5 years and a recent raise, no write ups or warnings is all I can really give to support this.

Does anyone know if it's reasonable to fight a claim on this? My experience with this employer is that they will dig up anything possible, including coaching employees, to make one look as awful as possible to avoid them receiving the unemployment benefit.

I'm not completely biased, I see their point, but I did pay into this for 22 years as well.....

Advice anyone?

JETX

Job_Hunting said:
Does anyone know if it's reasonable to fight a claim on this? My experience with this employer is that they will dig up anything possible, including coaching employees, to make one look as awful as possible to avoid them receiving the unemployment benefit.
Gee... seems to me like you have answered your own question....
You have NO proof and they have all the proof that they will likely need... coached or not.

It seems to me the unemployment hearing is very much like being in court. Do you have to get an attorney to help you state your case properly, and having no experience in this matter, if you have no concrete proof, is it likely an attorney will say I'm SOL as well? I'm certainly not sue happy, but in my area, finding a decent job takes time--and I'm the kind of employee who would fix whatever I was told to do in order to keep my job, if given the chance!

JETX

Job_Hunting said:
It seems to me the unemployment hearing is very much like being in court.
Sort of..... you simply present your case, the employer presents theirs.... and a mediator (or panel) decides.

Do you have to get an attorney to help you state your case properly
Nope. This is not that formal. No rules of court. No rules of evidence.

Jamie Kelley

JETX is right...

First, if the employer has responded to your claim: It goes to decision makers somewhere in your states capitol~

Second, If they don't find in your favor, you always have the right to appeal (this is held at your local employment security commission and in front of a "adjucator")~

If you feel like you need help there...you can always have a lawyer present...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">