• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment compensation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My BIL is a truck driver, which is basically all he's done his whole life (age 54). He's had high blood pressure for years which had been controlled by meds. He had two heart attacks and stents put in in the last 4 years. Up until last August his BP was controlled and he passed all DOT physicals. However, because his BP has been too high for DOT standards he was only able to get a temp 3 month medical card 3 months ago. 2 weeks ago he had another DOT physical, again his BP was too high, but Dr again gave him a temp. 3 month medical card, with a warning that he will lose his CDL if the BP isn't controlled in the next 3 months.

Now to my question:
If his BP is still too high and he loses his CDL, he will also lose his job.
In Georgia, would he qualify for unemployment benefits?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one here can ever give any poster a definite yes or no as to whether they will or will not receive UI in any state under any circumstances. The ONLY ones who can do that would be the UI commission of the state in question.

However, my best guess is that he would qualify for unemployment AS LONG AS he is still able to work at SOME job and actively looking for SOME job, even if he's not able to do the job he has been doing.

ecmst12

You can only qualify for UC if you are physically able to work, and actively seeking employment. So no, I would say not. He might qualify for disability, if he has that available. But I would suggest he do what's necessary to get his BP under control - there are more reasons to do that then just his job!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">