• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment denied for a "Personality Conflict"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rickh31

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I am a 29 year old male that generally works Monday-Thursday 10 hour shifts overnight in a fast paced environment that is a temporary agency for another company called ***. I agreed to come in Friday for a 12 hour shift to help my future cause with getting on full time with ***.

I worked with a crew I had never worked with before and was struggling with the work load and getting no help from these individuals and in the process of the work night I accidently threw away some work order paperwork while discarding other materials from my work area. Once the action was realized closer to the end of the shift I completed the previous work orders and my shift leader was extremely irate and would not speak to me.

He is a full time *** employee at the parent company and around the same age as me and he and i had communicated in passing.

The next day I reached out to him via facebook explaining my situation and that it was an accident and that I truly hope it doesn’t cause issues at work because I cannot afford to jeopardize not being able to provide for myself and my girlfriend. He stated that I will speak with my supervisor on Monday when I return to work.

Monday about 2 hours before my shift I was contacted by my employer and I was told that I was being let go because contacting him was unprofessional and that it made my temp employer look bad to the company contracting them.

I agree it was unconventional but the main thing I was trying to avoid was issues and the worst possible outcome is what happened.

I filed for unemployment and was denied stating that I was discharged for a “Personality Conflict.”

Is this justifiable reason to deny my unemployment when it was not my decision to terminate my position in any way?

justalayman

did the temp agency terminate you or did the client demand the temp agency remove you from the assignment?

in itself, I cannot see how a personality conflict would be an adequate reason to deny benefits. All you can do is go through the appeals process. Maybe something else will come to light that explains the vague statement of personality conflict such that that is an adequate justification to deny benefits.

rickh31

did the temp agency terminate you or did the client demand the temp agency remove you from the assignment?

in itself, I cannot see how a personality conflict would be an adequate reason to deny benefits. All you can do is go through the appeals process. Maybe something else will come to light that explains the vague statement of personality conflict such that that is an adequate justification to deny benefits.

I got no information in regards to who actually terminates me they just said they were removing me from the job for being unprofessional.

justalayman

I got no information in regards to who actually terminates me they just said they were removing me from the job for being unprofessional.

Ok, how about a different way:

are you still employed by the temp agency?

and I presume the entity disputing your unemployment is actually the temp agency. Would that be correct?

davew128

Ok, how about a different way:

are you still employed by the temp agency?

and I presume the entity disputing your unemployment is actually the temp agency. Would that be correct?
Either way, I'm more than a little stunned that the unemployment agency would deny benefits based on that reason. I agree that an appeal is in order.

rickh31

No i am no longer employed by the temp agency as this is the only client they serve. Yeah the entire situation is extremely frustrating because I was set to receive my first 2 weeks benefit friday after waiting a holding week and today I receive a letter stating that they are disputing it due to me being discharged for a "Personality Conflict"

commentator

Okay, I am going to look at this as an agency representative may. Regardless of how you feel about the situation, you were employed by the temp agency. If their only client has requested you not be retained, they have no other work to offer you, so you are let go from them. You have filed for unemployment, and you have not actually been denied official yet, even in the initial decision.

You have been told that the unemployment system is investigating, due to the employer (temp service) saying you were discharged due to a personality conflict. Okay, this could very well be misconduct. They don't know yet. In fact, if the agency determines your conduct in recontacting the worksite supervisor, who was nOT in any way your supervisor and with whom you really had no relationship or reason to be contacting him was improper behavior, they may very well deny you benefits.

This will be the initial denial. Then there will be a hearing, either by telephone or in person, at which both you and the representative of the temp service may be present. Here is where the final decision will be made.

You're cleaning up this situation a lot for the telling. You went to work with a crew that you were not accustomed to working with. You screwed up. You may have exhibited an attitude they didn't like. whatever. It was extreme enough that you felt led to contact the supervisor of the crew and more or less beg for your job and apologize for your previous behavior, because of your personal situation.

These temp services are usually quite territorial about who contacts their clients. Their employees have no business contacting their client without their handling the situation. They may even have had you agree to something about this when you went to work for them. In any case, it appears that the supervisor you contacted has spoken with the temp service, told them he did not appreciate your contacting him.

So they let you go. They are within their rights to let you go any time for any reason. You were working for their only client. Only client, or them, does not want you working there anymore, for WHATEVER reason. So you are let go. You did not mention the conflict. They did. They have protested your simple approval for benefits, they say you were not let go due to a lack of available work, but because the employer no longer wants you there, due to a personality conflict you had with some of the employees of their client.

You're probably not going to win this, but I'd keep filing for weeks of benefits, while looking very diligently for another job. If you were to be approved after the appeals process, you'd be backpaid. And I'd definitely appeal if I received my first denial, as the employer will doubtless appeal if you are approved. You should not expect this situation to be resolved for several weeks, and as I said, your chances are sort of iffy. Remember, unemployment benefits are NOT welfare, they are not based on how badly you need them to support yourself, and this is not going to be one of their considerations.

Last edited:

justalayman

=commentator;3271041]Okay, I am going to look at this as an agency representative may. Regardless of how you feel about the situation, you were employed by the temp agency. If their only client has requested you not be retained, they have no other work to offer you, so you are let go from them. You have filed for unemployment, and you have not actually been denied official yet, even in the initial decision.
did I miss something or did you miss something? From the first post:

I filed for unemployment and was denied stating that I was discharged for a “Personality Conflict.”

while I am not familiar with Illinois, I know in my state, if you are sent a denial, the state stops doing anything unless you appeal the decision.

commentator

No i am no longer employed by the temp agency as this is the only client they serve. Yeah the entire situation is extremely frustrating because I was set to receive my first 2 weeks benefit friday after waiting a holding week and today I receive a letter stating that they are disputing it due to me being discharged for a "Personality Conflict"
From my reading, he is not receiving a letter saying his claim was denied, he is saying he received a letter saying they (temp agency) are disputing it. If he received a letter saying the claim is denied due to such and such reason, based on such and such law, they should also say, "if you wish to appeal this decision......" and of course he should do so. But this time frame he provides here also doesn't sound like the initial decision may have been done.

So caveat here, OP, if your letter says your claim is DENIED, officially, follow the instructions to appeal, immediately. You do not need to make your argument for why you are appealing, just say, "I wish to appeal this decision," and all the other issues can be discussed in the appeals hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">