• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Dispute-Declined Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

murphyslaw11

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IN I have been receiving unemployment benefits. I was offered a job and I agreed to the salary they offered but I asked about the rest of the package. I wanted to know the benefits and other details excluding salary. I was told I would find that out at the orientation. At the orientation, I found out that the benefits were unsuitable (I had to pay for things which would effect the bottom line...things such as my own mileage and I would have to pay a lot for medical and life insurance and there was no sick pay) and I turned down the position by calling them on the phone the next morning after the orientation. The job was outside of what I normally have done. The pay was also well under what I use to make. I never worked a day for them nor was I every paid anything from them. The unemployment office said that I should be ok because the job was outside what I have ever done and that the salary was much lower, and listed that I declined because the benefits were unsuitable, and continued to pay me. Now I have received a notice of an appeal by this employer and a hearing date will be set. My question is...do I need a lawyer? Is there any way they (the employer) could have a case? The unemployment office said I did not need a lawyer which makes me think there should be no problem. I really can't afford a lawyer. What should I do?

Beth3

No, you don't need a lawyer. Whether UC benefits can be discontinued for turning down this particular job is a matter that will be cut-and-dried in your State's UC regulations. You need to attend the hearing and present the facts of the job offer - type of work, wages, what your costs would be for mileage, benefits and so forth. Sounds like the hearing will be merely a formality.

FYI, once either party (you or the employer) request a hearing on an eligibilty issue, the State has to hold a hearing. It's a guaranteed right in UC statutes. The UC office can't tell the employer "look - it's just going to be a waste of time; we've looked at the specifics of the offer and he is still entitled to UC benefits."

That's just the way the system works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">