• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Eligibility Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOliver

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Here is my question. It was determined by an Unemployment Advocate Judge that I was fired from my job the week of February 3rd. I had notified them that I was taking a different position at a different company, however work was not to begin for quite sometime.

My question is. I was fired from work the week of Feb 3rd. I did not start my new job until the second week of April. I was to begin in March however my new employer made changes and moved the date to early April.

The new job fired two of six new hires after two full weeks of employment.

My question: Is there a specific amount of time an employee must go from leaving job A to starting job B to still be eligible for unemployment benefits? As in, since I did not start the job within 30 days, will that disqualify my claim?

I may be a little confusing but I hope this helps.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Here is my question. It was determined by an Unemployment Advocate Judge that I was fired from my job the week of February 3rd. I had notified them that I was taking a different position at a different company, however work was not to begin for quite sometime.

My question is. I was fired from work the week of Feb 3rd. I did not start my new job until the second week of April. I was to begin in March however my new employer made changes and moved the date to early April.

The new job fired two of six new hires after two full weeks of employment.

My question: Is there a specific amount of time an employee must go from leaving job A to starting job B to still be eligible for unemployment benefits? As in, since I did not start the job within 30 days, will that disqualify my claim?

I may be a little confusing but I hope this helps.
You were already denied unemployment based on your March posts.

JOliver

You were already denied unemployment based on your March posts.
I fought the ruling before an Administrative Law Judge. I was paid unemployment for two weeks. The two weeks the employer did not let me work out.

The ruling is that I was not disqualified due to my employer terminating me.

moburkes

I fought the ruling before an Administrative Law Judge. I was paid unemployment for two weeks. The two weeks the employer did not let me work out.

The ruling is that I was not disqualified due to my employer terminating me.
Yep, that happens when they accept your resignation early.

Will that 2 month time period disqualify a NEW claim?

JOliver

Will that 2 month time period disqualify a NEW claim?
Correct. That is what I am questioning.

And the fact that I only worked two weeks before being let go again. They did state it was for Employee misconduct but never cited an example. They also did this to another employee minutes before myself.

Same reasoning was given. I think it was due to more of a performance thing since I had not made any telephone sales and they just needed a reason to empty 2 seats for the next class beginning the following Monday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">