• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment eligibility for separated military member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joshua0001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California/Wyoming

I am a former resident of California and worked in the state for many years. I am in the military (officer) and currently stationed in Wyoming and am a resident of Wyoming. As my service commitment ends, I would like to move back to California in July, and I would like to start school (graduate degree) in the fall. If I need to, I am able to find temporary work during that time between my separation and starting school.

1. Am I eligible to receive unemployment benefits in California?
2. If so, how long can I receive those benefits?
3. Can I receive any benefits while attending school? I will be using the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Thanks!

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your military time does qualify you for unemployment benefits in California, if you otherwise qualify. Lots of answers to these questions including FAQs on this site http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/
California will go up to 26 weeks.
Currently, with federal extensions, you can get up to 37 additional weeks.
3. Can I receive any benefits while attending school? I will be using the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
Possibly, again that is fully answered on the FAQ pages mentioned above. If your training is for something that there are actually jobs available and done at an approved facility (I suspect if you're going to use your GI Bill similar approval is likely to be in place), you could be able to get some level of benefit.

commentator

One thing to remember. Do not sign up for your unemployment benefits while you are still in Wyoming. Because this is a federal claim, whatever state you file it in will file the claim, working in conjunction with the federal government (They are called x claims) and they take slightly longer to process. You receive the weekly benefit amount that is given out by the state where you file.

California, where you say you want to live, has about a $100 a week higher weekly benefit, and if you sign up in Wyoming you will get only what their maximum benefit is, not the California one. So wait until you are set up with an address in California, and you should qualify for a higher benefit. As for attending school, wait until you are signed up for this so called "Rocking chair money" and begin working with your veteran's counselor in job seeking activities and career centers. They'll be able to tell you how you can incorporate school with unemployment benefits. Remember, they're not a lot of money and they do not last indefinitely. You must meet the qualifications to receive them, such as "able and available for work" and in some situations going to school will be appropriate, and in some it will not. Let the people in your new state guide you.

Joshua0001

Thanks for the link. That has a lot of helpful information. It looks like I'll have to wait until I get closer to the date and get back to California before I can get more details.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California/Wyoming

I am a former resident of California and worked in the state for many years. I am in the military (officer) and currently stationed in Wyoming and am a resident of Wyoming. As my service commitment ends, I would like to move back to California in July, and I would like to start school (graduate degree) in the fall. If I need to, I am able to find temporary work during that time between my separation and starting school.

Thanks!
I have never heard of anyone who has been separated from military service who was eligible for unemployment. Either they separate voluntarily, (honorable discharge) which makes them ineligible, or they separate involuntarily, (dishonorable or less than honorable discharge) which also makes them ineligible.

Normally someone attending college is also ineligible for benefits, unless they are actively seeking full time employment, and are available to take full time employment, while attending school. I am also fairly certain that attending school on GI benefits would preclude unemployment benefits as well. (double dip at the government coffers).

There may be some exception out there that I am unaware of, and if so, I am sure that someone else will be able to point that out.

TinkerBelleLuvr

All my kids, when they finished their enlistment period, qualified for unemployment when it ended. Last I check, servitude is ended. They are not required to reenlist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">