• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Extension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

discouraged01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

To whom it may concern,

I am at the end of collecting unemployment. The House of Representatives and Congress passed an extension of unemployment. Since Congress finally moved and signed the bill does the president have to make it a law for the 23 states that are hit hard especially New Jersey. I am not sure on how the law works but I'm one of the frustrated individuals bogged down in the recession. Any ideas?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

commentator

When and if the next extension becomes law, it will take some time even after it is signed. Eventually, every person in the states who should qualify will be notified by the system that they may have eligibility. If you stay on top of it, you can file a little bit sooner, but I suggest you do this by continuing to check your state's unemployment website.

Even after something has passed both houses and been signed into law, which I am pretty sure will eventually happen with this bill, there is a down time while the money is disbursed to the qualifying states and the new policies are set up to administer the program in each state.

If you have reached the end of the last extension for which you qualify (and be sure of this, check that website, talk to someone in the information office) make sure you continue to do your job searches each week, keep up with them and write them down. Because as soon as that next go around goes into effect, IF it goes into effect for your state, you'll be able to sign up for another set of roughly 13 more weeks.

But unemployment does end. That's the thing. It is not an income support system, it is insurance, and it will end, if not now, then three months from whenever the new extension comes in and you sign up for it. And after it is all gone there are only the true income support programs, such as Food Stamps and medicaid. If you could pick up something that is even only a temporary job, like for the seasonal holidays, or way out of your field, this will really help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">