• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

employeesSUCK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

An employee of our's filed an unemployment claim against our company (meaning if it is approved, our tax payment will go up).

Here's the rub...the employee filed for unemployment over a week BEFORE she ended up QUITING her job. (Probably because she knows that you don't get paid unemployment the first week)

Since the employee filed a claim while they were still employed, did they commit fraud, and if so, who should we report the fraud to?

pattytx

So, when you got the notice that she had filed, did you return it indicating her actual last day worked and that she quit?

If you did that in a timely fashion, you can protest her claim.

Last edited:

employeesSUCK

We are in the process of disputing the claim, and will simply put that she quit. This employee is also suing us over age discrimination and has a long history of trying to defraud businesses (at least 3 other age discrimination cases that I've found) through the court system.

If she is guilty of committing fraud against the state for unemployment fraud since she filed while still employed, I want her to face the repercussions of her actions because she is stealing from the taxpayers. I know we can contest her unemployment claims, but if she is guilty of fraud, I would also like to report her to the proper authorities.

pattytx

You will protest, there will be a hearing, and her "fraud" will come out at that point.

Either way, sounds like you're better off rid of her. ;)

Beth3

If she is guilty of committing fraud against the state for unemployment fraud since she filed while still employed, I want her to face the repercussions of her actions because she is stealing from the taxpayers.

It's up to the State to decide whether she attempted to engage in UC fraud and whether to prosecute her. This is out of your hands as this would be a crime against the State, not your company.

This employee is also suing us over age discrimination and has a long history of trying to defraud businesses (at least 3 other age discrimination cases that I've found) through the court system. I hope you have good legal representation. Defending discrimination complaints, even those without merit, is not a do-it-yourself job.

ms country girl

uc fraud

I worked for the UC Office 13 years in Florida. She has a right to file anytime she wants too, but she needs to accurately reflect her earnings each week she files. She can be still employed and get partial benefits. If she worked and will/is receiving payments for those weeks and does not report the money, then that will constitute fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">