• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Hearing and Due Process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sbd

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Hello, I have been without Benefits since early May due to numerous EDD mistakes handling my claim. In February, I decided to start school for my MCSD and MCAD certifications from Microsoft. I submitted my weekly form and indicated that I had begun training. The following week, I received a notice for a determination interview to determine if I was eligable for continued benefits. I went 1 whole month without a check because the phone interview was scheduled on March 10, 2004.

During the interview I was informed that I could be eligable for Extended Training Benefits and that following the interview, I would receive a determination within 10 days. When 10 days passed, I called EDD and asked if I was approved and was told that I was approved and a check should arrive within 3 days.

Around April 25th, I received a claim for only 1 week and noticed that my Benefits were about to run out. I thought that maybe the Extended Benefits would start right the following week. WhenI did not receive anything the following week, I called EDD and was told that I was not eligable and had to basically go through the entire interview process from March 10, all over again. This time I received a letter denying my claim which had numerous errors and omissions throughout the determination document.

My appeal was filed on June 1, 2004 and I received a Hearing date for July 23, 2004. Last week, I received a message that the Hearing has been postponed due to the judges schedule conflict. I received a notice a few days later confirming the postponement but no date for a new hearing.

I was denied under section 1269 d(2) and 1269 d(4). The 1269 d(4) doesn't even apply to my situation because I am not in a Union, another one of their mistakes.

My questions are, should I get an attorney?

Is there a way to force EDD to pay my benefits while waiting for a date on the appeal?

Can I claim that I have not been given "due process" under the law?

Your help is much appreciated since money is beginning to be a scarce resource at this point. ;-(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">