• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dawn26

My husband has been working for a company in Kansas for more than a year. The "mother" company is in Chicago, Il. He was just recently laid off. Today, he tried to apply for unemployment only to learn that the company has not reported any of his wages since he began. They show he hasn't worked since his last employer. He called the local company to be told they would call corporate to find out what was going on and they would get back to him. He didn't hear back so he called corporate and got no answer. My question is: What do we do? Is there a lawsuit here? Do we need a lawyer? We have a family to provide for and this very disorganized company is going to make us suffer even more. HELP!

B

buddy2bear

Have your husband take his pay stubbs to the unemployment office and reapply. It is up to the unemployment office to pursue his employer, not you. It is illegal for a company not to pay unemployment taxes, workers' comp., etc. I wonder if your husband will get his W-2 shortly? If he does not receive one by February 14th, then report the company to the Internal Revenue Service.

D

dawn26

THANK YOU sooooo much. You have no idea what a relief it is to finally get some answers!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">