• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oow1

I have been collecting unemployment insurance from the state of MN since May. I obtained a part time position which made less than my unemployment wages, so I was being supplemented for the difference. I was recently offered a position with better pay and quite my part time position. Before I could start my new position, the prospective employee rescinded the position as I was not medically cleared for the work. I can not get my part time job back. Can I go back to the unemployment office and request benefits based on my old job (the one that I lost in May)?

pattytx

Does the state even know that you were offered another position, which offer was rescinded before you even started work? I would think you would just continue to certify for benefits as you had been doing.

oow1

Unfortunately, since I don't have the part time job anymore, I can no longer report a partial income. I have requested a payment, but it is on hold because I had to disclose that I quite the part time position for a job that did not pan out.

commentator

What you have done is request they re-open your claim. you have a "quit issue" on your part time job. So what they will do is make a decision about whether you quit the part time job with good cause. In the meantime, since you still have a claim open, keep filing your certifications for each week that passes where you are not working anywhere. If your claim is approved again, they will back pay you for these weeks you have missed.

Yes, you did right, you had to tell them about quitting the part time job. That was the only honest way to handle it,but now they will stop your claim until they can get a decision about whether you had a good reason to quit.

Moral of the story is, do not ever quit anything until you have the hire letter signed for the new job. This happens all the time. But maybe you will be re-approved. The decision to grant benefits on the job you lost in May was what got you going in the first place, but you had this other part time thing, and you did voluntarily quit it, so it now becomes your separating employer for unemployment purposes. The decisions will have to be made from now on based on the part time job you quit.

But be sure you emphasize how sure you were that you were going to get this new job...and in the meantime, be looking very hard for another job, because they may not decide in your favor. Appeal, if you are denied, you have nothing to lose. But you did quit, a bit prematurely it appears, though it seemed to be a good reason at the time.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">