• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment insurance and getting suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

a3593

(Maryland)

Hi all-can a person get unemployment benefits when they get suspended indefinetly from their job?

a3593

Suspended "indefinitely"? Why?
Evidently this person (my friend/coworker) was at a customers home to fix his TV. My coworker had a young son who was wearing the trendy baggy pants, and my coworker asked "what do the baggy pants stand for?" (my friend is an middle-aged man, clueless as to these fads) The customer got offended and complained to the manager, and that was that. I think its true BS, personally.

pattytx

I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger problem that the company may be worried about is that, unless I'm misunderstanding what you said, your co-worker's SON was with him in a customer's home. That is a BIG liability issue.

Or did you just not explain it correctly and it was the CUSTOMER'S son wearing the baggy pants?

a3593

I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger problem that the company may be worried about is that, unless I'm misunderstanding what you said, your co-worker's SON was with him in a customer's home. That is a BIG liability issue.

Or did you just not explain it correctly and it was the CUSTOMER'S son wearing the baggy pants?
I'm sorry-customers son with baggy pants on and my coworker made a remark about the meaning of that.

commentator

For unemployment purposes, I think you could safely assume that "suspended indefinitely" is sort of code for "fired." He can file a claim during the first week he is actually not working. Even if he is put out of work and the company says they indended to put him back to work at the time this "indefinite" suspension was over, he is still able and may be eligible to receive benefits. Because during this time he is out of work not by his choice, (if so determined.)

But if this person was in someone's home working on their television, he might in many cases be a contractor instead of a regular employee. If so, then he's not got any case for filing for unemployment insurance against this employer, as he has been working as a contractor. Whether he gets to set up a claim, based on monetary eligibility would be from the last 18 mo to 2yrs, wages made from covered employers. Then the reason for leaving would be from the last covered employer he has worked for.

If that covered employer is the one who has indefinitely suspended him, then they would be asked to give the reason for his "suspension," and if they were not determined to have a good misconduct reason for termination, he would be able to be approved for benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">