• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Insurance-NYS-Ex boss compromising my case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmcm750203

New York

I was terminated from my job on February 11. I had been working part time for about 6 months after serving 2 years as a full time employee. When I switched to part time, it was agreed upon between my boss and myself that my schedule would be flexible due to my school schedule. I was let go in February because I was "not consistent with my hours" according to my boss. Although he admitted to me that my work was getting done, he had a problem with me working an inconsistent schedule. I filed for unemployment on the following Sunday and my case was in limbo until this past Tuesday, March 16. I received a phone call from an agent who works for the NYS Unemployment Agency. She spoke to me with a very condescending tone and sounded like she had already come to a decision on my case. She had spoken to my boss the prior Friday, March 12 and what he told her really floored me. He told her that I violated the Village's call in policy when I left a message instead of speaking to him directly. The Village contract states that as long as the Supervisor is given notification that an employee will be absent there is no issue. The employee can nominate anybody to give that notification. I spoke with our Union president that afternoon and he relayed to me that leaving a message is within this notification procedure. The second item that bothered me was that my boss told the agent that there was a day where I made no notification whatsoever. I proceeded to call my former employer and speak to my boss on this issue. I asked him for documentation on this "no-call" day because I knew he made it up. He told me that he didn't know the exact day because he doesn't write stuff like that down. The fact that he said that infuriated me. First he fired me because I was using a flexible schedule that we had agreed upon, and then he misrepresented facts to the unemployment agency which will probably cause them to deny me benefits. I have already had my login priveliges taken away, so I am assuming that a denial letter is in the mail. Is there any action I can take and does anyone think if I appeal my unemployment denial that I would have a case?

Thanks,

Chris McManus

R

Ramoth

Yes. You can appeal when (if) you receive the denial letter. Instructions for appealing a decision are included with the letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">