• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taylorsing102

What is the name of your state? Illinois. I am writing about unemployment. I have accumulated 10,000 in overpayment by unemployment to me. I have been working in the private schools for the 7 years I have been employed as a teacher. I was lead to believe that we could recieve unemployment because our r jobs in the private (archdiocese) was not secure. So between then and now I have to pay this money back. In the mean time I have been told that my employment has been terminated because I recieved this money while working, and I can never work for the archdiocese again. Now I am unemployed again because the school I was working at has closed and the archdiocese wants to fight the case . Can you give me some insight on what my options are?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What gave you the idea that you could collect unemployment while you were working under any circumstances?

That's not a reprimand; that's a question designed to figure out the first step in any options you might have (which, btw, are going to be quite limited).

Beth3

I just noticed he has a duplicate post and I replied to the other one.

I can't imagine that the poster didn't actively engage in UC fraud. At a minimum, he or she would have had to claim they weren't working and failed to report their on-going earnings.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I've posted a link to this thread on the one you responded to and suggested that all answers remain on one thread.

I'm trying very hard to keep an open mind (having so recently be accused on employer bias :mad:) in the event that they were actually given incorrect information by an authority the employee had reason to trust.

However, given that in every state I know of the employee would have to have week after week said that they were not working in order to collect, I have to admit that I'm having a hard time seeing any potential answer except fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">