• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment and Job Offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lorrah

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was terminated from my job about 2 weeks ago. My employer at the time said that I was being let go in order to save their contact with their client as someone had to "take the fall" for a mistake made by a contract employee that worked underneath me. I did nothing wrong.

I have since filed for unemployment and still waiting a decision. In the mean time, I have been applying for every decent job I can find.

Last week I interviewed with a marketing firm 30+ miles from my residence. I was told that it was a sales/marketing position within the office, that the sales team was given sales leads and that there was no travel aside from coming to the office. I was told that a major office supplies company was one of the contracts they worked with as well as several telecommunications companies, such as Verizon and T-Mobile. The position was to be paid at a base salary plus some commissions as incentive to continue sales.

I was offered the position and very thankfully took it. After filling out my initial paper work, everything changed. The position turned out to not be in-office, but rather a business-to-business solicitation sales company. Not only that, it's multi-level marketing, or a pyramid structure. There would be daily travel. I was also asked to go on a "business trip" on my very first day of actual work as part of my "training". The position is also paid at mostly commission rates and a minimal base salary.

I have never heard of a company that operates this way and tells a new employee they will be on a business trip their first week. The manager stated that the business trip was not required if I could not attend, however, upon telling him I would be unable to go I was told that I may not be able to work the first week as he had no one to train me. Clearly he was expecting me to attend the trip.

I researched the company and found several complaints on the web of similar situations. My question is, if I refuse this offer at this point, will I still be eligible for my unemployment? The position is not at all what I was told I would be doing and not what I signed up for. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about the situation as I don't want to get myself wrapped up into something I can't get out of.

Lorrah

I forgot to mention... The company name I interviewed with, and the company that technically hired me are two different companies.

commentator

What I would advise you to do is report on your weekly certification for unemployment that yes, you did quit a job this week. Oh, and by the way, do quit this job, of course. Don't even take it as a try out. Call them and quit.

Then, when there is an inquiry done by the unemployment office, you will do the same thing you did here, explain how you were offered one job, and then told about this screwy deal with another company, so that you do not even feel it is a bona fide job offer anyway, and would really not be appropriate, in your field, the whole thing you say here.

They will actually ajudicate both issues. It sounds as though your original discharge is fairly easy to resolve in your favor. If you do not win the initial decision, of course, you would have a hearing, or your company can request a hearing if you do win, but in the meantime, you are going to be filing a certification for each week since you have filed.

There will be a separate issue concerning the job you have accepted then quit. Whatever you do, do not keep on with this job and then determine it is unsuitable after a week or two. Each day you hang with it lessens your opportunities to restart your unemployment.

But, be very sure to figure what if any money you have been paid by this new job already, even if you have not been paid yet or were supposed to be on a salary. Figure an hourly rate, times the number of hours you actually worked, (all unemployment weeks run from Sunday through Saturday for wage calculation purposes) If your gross hourly wage for this day or hour or two you have worked for this company were more than you could draw in unemployment, you'll also have to do what is called "re-open" your claim. If it is a pittance, and by the way do report it, even if it's $12 or something like that, this will still be a week you can count on your unemployment claim.

So my best advice is to leave this funky job immediately. Then contact the unemployment office. Make sure your weekly certification for last week is done correctly, with their guidance. Report the wages. Report the quit. And let them lead you forward from there.

Commission and pyramid jobs often offer these 'bait and switch' type job offers. This will not be the first time this has happened to someone while getting their unemployment started. Let the office help you walk through it.

Last edited:

Lorrah

Thankfully I have not even started yet. Tomorrow would be my first day.

I was going through some stuff online and found several complaints on the same company with similar situations. I have printed them off to take with me to the unemployment office to validate my claims. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">