• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bittersweetone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I started receiving Unemployment Benefits in February of 2009. This July the MN Employment Agency sent me a letter that I had been overpaid $17,000, and they would like me to send them a check for that amount by July 20, 2010, (or 15 days later). My panicked phone calls were met with confusion, no one could figure out what was wrong, some hung up, some said they would call back and didn't. Finally their Legal Department said that they had calculated my payments incorrectly. Them, not me. They said I should have been limited to only around $2500 in the year, based on two different jobs, months apart. Instead, they paid me $350 a week for a year (including multiple Federal Extensions). They keep recalculating what I "owe" them. Each week the amount goes done about $1000, as they redo their myriad of charts. Clearly they do not know how to figure it out.
Worse for me, I would have quit paying my mortgage last year if I didn't have the Unemployment benefit income. I have been emptying my savings to make $3000 monthly payments. I would have given up and let the bank foreclose last year without the benefits. Now I am out $48,000 in mortgage payments I will have to discontinue now. Plus, the State wants their $15,000 back. (So their mistake has really cost me $55,000).
Their Appeal process says it is only a phone call, and I should not contact a lawyer. This seems to indicate that someone will just rubber stamp whatever number they come up with.
How do I afford a lawyer, how do I afford one? Is anyone else going through this in Minnesota? Can we share a lawyer?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">