• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment question??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momof1boy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA**************Im reside in pittsburgh pa i have a question about unemployment...i got fired from my job in august...i have a 5 year old boy with adhd and i had requested 2 unpaid days off of work so I could care for him until i could find childcare for him....well on the 2nd day of calling off i got terminated...i have filed my bi-weekly claims with the UC office and now im just waiting for a response from them to see if I am approved for UC benefits....my question is they sent me a financial determination letter stating on what I will receive weekly from them but why is there still a waiting period to see if I am approved for it?? Im soo confused:confused: Do you think I will be approved?? Is the appeal process really worth it???

pattytx

There are two components to unemployment eligibility. One is financial, and you've already received a letter saying you financially qualify and how much your weekly benefits would be. The second relates to the quality of the separation. In other words, are you unemployed through no fault of your own?

Let me see if I have this right. You called off because you didn't have childcare and the employer terminated you for the absences?

pattytx

Odds are the FA crystal ball is out bouncing around somewhere. Whether or not you get awarded benefits may hinge on the reason you didn't have childcare; caregiver unexpectedly quit or not available, or you didn't have backup should that situation occur (and, it will at some point, guaranteed).

momof1boy

Well like i stated in the first post that my son has ADHD and he was/has been kicked out of all daycares in the area thats why I had no care...I was in the process of finding care for him over the weekend before i got fired....i had talked to someone from the UC office and she said that my issues was among the board and was waiting for a response from them....if I dont receive then Ill have to appeal and probably have to go through all the reasons of why correct??
Thanks so much for your responses:)

commentator

As far as being approved for benefits on the reason for separation issue, it is not such a good thing to be absent from the job for personal reasons and discharged for this. Unemployment compensation is pretty much big on "medical" not personal reasons. If your claim is denied in the initial decision, then you will have to file an appeal and have a hearing.

Keep certifying for weeks as they pass. Eventually if the claim is approved, you will be back paid for weeks you have certified for.

The employer of course, will say they fired you for absenteeism. It is fully acceptable for them to do this, if they wanted to, they could.

If your son's condition is diagnosed by a doctor and you have medical records showing he is ADHD and is perhaps on meds or has had treatment for said condition, you might possibly be approved because you had to be off your job to care for an "ill" family member. That might be approvable in PA. However, having to be off because your car broke down or because you didn't have child care is usually not considered a good work related reason, though it may be a very good personal reason. Doesn't sound too hopeful for this term to be approvable.

momof1boy

I do have documentation for my sons "illness"
So looks like im going to have to appeal it if they wont approve it!

Thanks so much for your answers!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">