• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxLonghorn

Question. I am collecting Unemployment in Pennsylvania and living in Arizona. Two weeks ago, I started a new job here. Last week, our training class had a "final exam." By that point, my performance in training had been considered very good. When we were given the exam, I got an 89 percent (out of 100 questions). After the exam, the woman running the training class had me turn in my badge and I was terminated. When turning in my claim to PA, they documented it as work performance, and asked if I had been given any verbal or written warnings about performance., which I hadn't. Because I didn't pass this exam,* I was let go.Do you feel I have a good case to get my UC reopened?

commentator

Based on what you say here, I believe you have an excellent possibility of having your unemployment claim re-opened. You of course, showed up every day and worked really hard for them. If you just didn't have the skills or aptitude to do the new job, or you just happened to remind someone of their brother in law they don't like, whatever the reason, it was not a MISCONDUCT reason they elected not to continue your employment. You didn't refuse to do anything, fail to show up, smart off to the trainer, something that could be construed as you failing to honestly do your best. You didn't jump up and say you quit before they had an opportunity to fire you, I hope.

Keep making your weekly work searches and keep doing your necessary certifications to PA, and I predict you have a good chance, based on what you've told us here, of having your claim re-opened, and be back paid for any weeks that have passed since you filed to re open it. If it were to happen that they denied the re-open, appeal it, keep making certifications, and when you have your hearing, tell the adjudicator just what I've said above, that you did your best, but were told you were being discharged due to work performance. This should take care of it, if you're giving us all the facts.

TxLonghorn

Thank you very much! I feel confident too because of what I mentioned reason wise. I informed them of every detail when calling in the claim to reopen so now it just a matter of the wait game. I heard it shouldn't take too long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">