• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment for Sales Managers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greyhound Mom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I was Branch Sales Manager April 08 for 8 months and because of poor economic situations was asked to go to another branch 45 miles away so they could demote the VP of Sales to my position.

I worked in this new branch with no sales team, just myself, trying to cover a very large territory. I was in over $550K worth of business but was only able to close $80K worth of sales in 10 months due to our price structure.

I was let go due to lack of sales and not meeting a $35K monthly quota. I was given a warning letter 8 days previous to being let go.

Does anyone know how the Unemployment Commission looks at the sales category in determining whether or not you get unemployment?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

You should be able to collect unemployment. Basically, you were terminated because the economy is in the worst shape it has been in since the Great Depression.

commentator

File a claim for unemployment immediately. You were terminated for not being able to spin straw into gold, so to speak. Clearly deal with that fact. State that you did the job to the very best of your abilities, and that you were not able to meet the productivity guidelines they'd set. Be sure to emphasize that you did not resign, you stayed and did the best you could until they told you they were letting you go. This is a no fault termination. You should be able to file and if you have the monetary qualifications, which it soundsl ike you've got, you'll be approved based on terminated through no fault of your own. But don't postpone filing, even for a few weeks. The sooner you file, the sooner you will be able to receive benefits while looking for another job.

Greyhound Mom

Unemployment for Sales

Thanks for the great replies!
I called unemployment and because they are paying me for 2 weeks vacation I have to wait until I'm fully severed from the company.
That will be the 15th of March. The rep told me it would probably be 8 weeks before I see any checks but to keep on filing each week.

They take the last day you are employed and then add the two weeks vacation pay so my termination date would be 3/19.

They are so confusing. I called 4 times and 4 reps told me 4 different dates to file my weekly certifications for looking for employment.

The last rep told me to file on the 15th for the previous week (3/7-3/13)and state that I did not work but was paid for 1 week vacation, then file the 22nd for the previous week and say I did not work but was paid for 1 week vacation.

What difference does it make? I was terminated on the 4th, vacation is vacation. They try to make it confusing****************************..

commentator

So you have filed your claim, right? And they're telling you you probably won't get to draw for the weeks while you are being paid the vacation pay? Maybe. Is this a permanent lay off? I'd certainly take the advice of the last person you spoke with and certify on the 15th for the two previous weeks. Keep their number and maybe you can keep talking to the same person. They do not make it deliberately confusing, but sometimes the people who are working have not got much experience and they can be very confusing sometimes I know.

Regardless, you need to get the claim filed, a claim should be filed the first week you are not working, and you begin making weekly certifications after that two weeks since you filed is past. Each time you certify, the week you will be answering question for will be a Sunday through Saturday week. You will be certifying any time after the Saturday date is passed. But some systems, because of the number of claims, assign people days to certify, for example some on Sunday, some on Monday, some on Tuesday. You're always certifying for the previous week or two week period, just remember that.

Sometimes if you do NOT have a date to return to work, the vacation pay you are receiving is not going to be disqualifying. They're right, regardless of whether you get it or not, it will take quite a while to get your claim started and start getting weekly checks. But after you have filed the claim, you need to make a certification for each week that passes. Eventually you'll be back paid for each week you've certified for that you are determined to be eligible for, and it will get in to a routine. Read the material on line and in your claims book and keep good records about when you've certified. They'll be making a decision and eventually will let you know whether you're approved or not and will hopefully start paying you weekly.

Last edited:

Greyhound Mom

Unemployment for Sales Manager

Thanks! I filed a claim on 3/4/2010.
Talked again to Employment Commission and I filed my first weekly certification today. The vacation pay may throw me out a couple of weeks because of the amount, but I'm in the system.
Hopefully I'll find a new job soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">