• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment when fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowball352

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am about to be fired because the company I work for has sales goals. It is understood when hired that if you don't meet them you will be fired. Can I collect unemployment?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Michigan.

Beth3

Can I collect unemployment? Assuming you have worked the required number of weeks and wages earned, I see no reason why you won't be eligible for UC benefits. Unless the employer can demonstrate that you were able to meet the performance goals and purposefully failed to do so, you will be eligible for benefits.

commentator

If you show up for work and do your best, and you cannot make the sales goals the company has set, and the company fires you for that reason, you have a pretty good chance of drawing unemployment (providing you have the wages in appropriate previous quarters to set up a claim monetarily).

If you get disgusted and quit, or if they make you the offer of allowing you to resign instead of being fired, and you chose this option, you'll have a much harder time getting approved to draw unemployment, as the decision to quit was a personal choice made by you.

But as the law looks at it, not being able to meet goals, if you have made a good faith effort, or not being smart enough or talented enough to do whatever is required by the job is not misconduct. Deliberately screwing up and not meeting the goals or not doing the job correctly when you have the capability to do it is considered misconduct because you had a choice about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">