• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Woes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abdwybabe

I am in Pennsylvania

I am having trouble with unemployment. I worked for T-Mobile for 8 months. My whole department was laid off. I was told I WAS eligible for unemployment. I applied over the phone and have been getting checks while I look for work. Now they tell me that the person who filled out the form for me may have made an error and I may not be eligible after all and may even have to pay back what I received.

I had a very nasty person from enemployment tell me that the NEVER make mistakes that it must have been me, but I did not fill it out, they did!

I am so frustrated. My brother just died, I may lose my car if I cannot keep up the payments which I had no problem with when I was working. I live in an area where I need a car, too. I really need help and don't know who to go to for help. Can anyone help me?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If your benefits are denied, you will have the opportunity to appeal. The forms you receive will tell you how to go about it.

Who filled out the application for you and why did you not do it yourself?

A

abdwybabe

Thanks for advice

I am in Pennsylvania.

Thanks for your answer. I called to sign up for it and they told me I could do it over the phone. I have never done it before so I did niot know any better. What else can I do? Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
First of all, relax.

If your entire department was laid off, then the only reason I can think of that they would deny your benefits, would be if you had not worked long enough to be eligible. If that is the case, then there is nothing you can do. Either you worked enough weeks in your base year or you didn't. It's not an issue where there can be room for differing interpretations.

If you DID work long enough to be eligible, then unless there is something major you haven't mentioned, there shouldn't be any question about your eligibility. Did your employer contest benefits initally?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">