• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unethical behavior?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

damessy1

What is the name of your state? Florida

Recently, my boyfriend did a favor for his company (a restaurant) by DJ'ing a company event for a discounted price. He was compensated part cash and part coupon. It was his understanding that he could use the coupons at work when customers made purchases with cash. In exchange, keeping the cash for coupons. It was believed that this was helping his store save money as they were allotted so many coupons per quarter to give away to customers. Suddenly, senior management fired him for using the coupons in this manner. They stated that the intention of the coupons were for his use on personal time in the restaurant. He never received written limitations on how these coupons could be used. He only received verbal directions on how to get the cash out of the coupons. He receives a 50%- 100% discount without the coupons, it makes little sense to issue coupons to him. He would have not DJ'd the event if the company paid any less. He even offered to buy back the coupons, and then exchange them for cash compensation. It was then that management fired him for "unethical behavior." This seems like a raw deal. Has there been any violations of law or on civil grounds?

Last edited:

Beth3

"was his understanding that he could use the coupons at work when customers made purchases with cash. In exchange, keeping the cash for coupons." I obviously don't know what was said to your boyfriend but it sure sounds like your boyfriend may have done his own interpretation on whatever he was told.

I can only tell you that pocketing the cash value of the coupons when a third party made a purchase strikes me as a very shady deal and it's not surprising he was terminated for unethical behavior. They could also have called it theft.

In any event, no matter who is right here nothing you have shared lends itself to any violation of the law or any civil basis to pursue a claim against the employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">