• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unethical, immoral or just insane?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mlyn81

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I am currently working for a contractor for the Federal Government. Our contract expires in nine months and my company wants to win the new contract. Another company held an open house at a local hotel for people interested in working for them if they won the contract. Our corporate VP came out and told us that if any of our employees attended the open house, they would be fired. He then asked two of my employees to attend the open house and to make a list of any of our employees who they saw. One of my employees refused to attend. The Corporate VP wrote him up on a letter of discipline for insuubordination. He is not eligeable for a raise or bonus for a year because of this.
If any of this is not illegal, it should be. Does my employee have any recourse for receiving discipline for refusing to spy on his fellow employees?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Possibly unethical but not illegal. I don't agree with the way the company handled this but they did not break any laws.

M

mlyn81

Terminating Employees Attending a Public Meeting?

I'm confused. It is not illegal to forbid employees to attend a public meeting; nor is it illegal to recruit other employees to attend the meeting fir the purpose if spying on those employees? It is legal to threaten to terminate an employee, or to otherwise punish an employee for not spying and reporting?
Next you'll be telling me it's ok to imprison or execute unfaithful employees. Please explain.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Terminating Employees Attending a Public Meeting?

mlyn81 said:
Next you'll be telling me it's ok to imprison or execute unfaithful employees.

===================================

My response:

It is. I've executed a few in my time.

It's also legal to geld them, too!

IAAL

H

hexeliebe

And I know IAAL is correct.

In fact, I watched a gelding just yesterday during the Buffalo Indy game....

Poor Head Linesman :eek:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In an at will state, which is every state except Montana, an employee can legally quit with or without notice for any reason whatsoever, and an employer can legally fire you with or without any notice for any reason not specifically forbidden by law. No law says that an employer can't fire an employee for attending a meeting (unless it's a union organization meeting), or for looking for another job (which is more to the point). Whether it is a smart decision or not is a different matter. But it is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">