• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair Contract ? (Salary treated as hourly)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Don 944 LA

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have been talking to a company in Ohio that wishes me to relocate from California to Ohio and to fill a position maintaining Large Technical Specialized equipment ( High Volume Xerox Printers ).

I just traveled there for Contract talks, and I am rather confused and insulted on their offer.

(in a nutshell) :

Position as "Service Manager"
Salary: $xx,xxx / yr ( proper amount for cost of living )
Non-Compete agreement affecting ANY seperation encompasing entire local area.
Moving expense covered by them, and repaid if seperation for ANY reason.
Loan of $x,xxx for getting setup in housing etc ..
Be available and on call 24 hrs a day / 7 days a week.

However, this is the part I have issues with:
Minimum of 40 hrs a week (7-4), everything over is Comp time.
Physically working with the exception of lunch hour and (2) 10 minute breaks.
Clock in and out with a time card.

Now, I have been in this industry for many years and have had many Salaried jobs, and generally do what is needed above and beyond resonable expectation.
Once I get the equipment up to my standard, I would only expect to actually work on the equipment at the most 4 hours a day, and would expect the occasional nights and weekend problems to arise.
If this company were to outsource the service ( Xerox or another company ) they would expect to be spending 10 times the amount of my salary, and a technician would only be there when needed, generally hours after a problem arises and only during working hours or billed at a very high rate for after hour service.

They stated that the reason for the 2 breaks a day, is so that the " General workers / laborers " do not get upset that they do not have that option.

It is like they want the best situation of an hourly employee and the best situation of a salaried employee.
Especially having a non-compete for someone with those constraints..
I am also hesitant to bring in MY intellectual property ( knowledge & Experience ) plus my intellectual property on unrelated technology to have it exploited and vulnerable to aquisition.

I am looking for advice and any local legal precident before I relocate to a very bad situation.
Bottom line, I have never punched a timecard or been restrained by break time.

Thanks for any help
Don

Last edited:

candg918

If it sounds questionable in any way, don't take the job!!!

The repayment of moving expenses for ANY reason? That can be a lot of $$$.

If they are clock watchers, what makes you think that as a salaried, non-exempt employee that you would really get COMP time. You should get overtime pay.

If I were you, I'd keep looking for other opportunities.

(I'm not commenting on the legality of the arrangement - just feel having been in similar situations.)

Some Random Guy

If this sales pitch for the job is making you uncomfortable, then just wait till you see what the real job is like. Listen to your gut - they don't care about your IP, they want a worker grunt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">