• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair Demotion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dukebballfan

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I know this is not about being fired, but I could not find a separate forum for demotions. My husband has worked very hard for a company for eight years and has gotten nothing but praise from his co-workers and superiors for the job that he has done. During this eight years, he has gotten switched from first-shift, to third, to second, then to first and back to second. This last time he was told he would be on second shift for three months, that was in August 2004, long enough for someone to be trained to take his place as a lead man on that shift so he could go back on first. Since that time my husband has questioned when can he go back on 1st (we now have a baby and he can spend no time with him) & he was told that he would work 2nd shift or he would have no job at all. There has been a new manager over his department, he has been there for a month. My child was sick on Friday, and my husband took 4 hours vacation time so I would not have to miss my entire day of work. The vacation time was approved. When he gets back to work on Monday, he has been demoted to a fork-lift operator. He was given no reason, in fact he was even praised by the new manager for being so great at his job, and he was demoted? This is humiliating for him, and he's not even sure if he's going to be able to keep his current pay level. The highest pay level for a fork lift driver is $.80 less than what he makes now. We can barely make it now. Can they do this? Can they take his money from him that he's earned? He's so afraid to do anything now. He's convinced it's because he was off for 4 hours on Friday and the new manager is upset about that. If he takes off a whole day, or questions this, they could fire him. This company basically does whatever they want.

I'm sorry to have rambled so much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Beth3

I agree that nothing illegal has occurred. Your husband may want to consider looking for a day shift position elsewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">