• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair No Re-hire Status/Can an employer who gave me a no re-hire ruin my career?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

csh

I was employed by a large state agency in Texas for 3 years, 2001-2004. I received very good reviews and did good work while at this agency. Luckily I still have a copy of my last review, which was superior overall.

Unfortunately I had some problems prior to resigning from the agency. My last supervisor and I did not get along. When I told her I wanted to give 2 weeks notice, she stated, "Get out right now." She then told HR that I quit without notice and gave me a no re-hire.

Basically my question is how much will this no re-hire affect my future career? This happened almost a year ago. Since then I have completed my Masters degree and have had another job, which will provide a good reference. Is there any way I can block this former employer from giving anyone a reference? I have to put this job on my resumé because the experience is contingent upon my continuing work in the field. I have a job interview Wednesday and I am worried.

C

CheeseBlotto

Nothing says a job reference has to be a direct supervisor. Was there someone at your level or (preferably) higher that can speak to the job you did?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, there is no way you can legally block this employer from being a reference.

But a single no-rehire is not going to be a career killer. Some companies have a blanket no-rehire policy. Other employers don't ask about rehire status in reference information. Still others have sense enough to ASK why an employee is listed as no-rehire, and decide for themselves if it's a valid reason or not.

Few if any employers will refuse to hire someone because ONE company listed them as no-rehire. Employers are not sheep; they do not follow blindly after a "leader".

Relax, you're worrying over nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">