• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair payment woes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

garbageman

I have been employed with a company in GA for many years. At first drivers were paid "per box". One driver was paid $.24/ yard and everyone else got paid $.18 yard. Because of the extent of my route with a city contract I was only paid $.17 1/2 per yard. Now we are under new ownership and managment and our pay has been cut to a crazy percentage rate. The pay depends on the amount of miles you run, the time you put in, and what "the company" has deemed to be your % for the route. Is this fair? Can anything be done to the company?

A

Attorney_Replogle

I don't see any employment law violation based on what little you have provided us. However, from my experience with sanitation folks, they are usually unionized. If this is the case with you, check with your union steward. If you are not unionized, then it is allowed for an employer to change the rate of pay of its employees.

The exceptions are that the pay change can't interfere with any written contracts of any employees that are in effect. Plus, an employer can't pay differently based on a discriminatory motivation such as age, race, religion, etc.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">